Saturday, March 19, 2011

Update

It's been a week of good days and bad days. They all seem to be with no real pattern.
But some of my blood work has come in....well all of it now I suppose.

1st - Rheumatologist #1 called to say that my abnormalities were not a fluke. It was just as high the second time around.

2nd- My hormone levels are very low. The goal being between 300-400 and mine is 45.
I started a hormone cream once a day. Probably explains my miscarriages and I'm wondering why my OB/GYNs didn't test for this after the first one.

3rd- The food sensitivities were the unwelcome mail of the day and I broke my record of not crying for several days in a row. Turns out Dr. Baker thinks I have Leaky Gut Syndrome. Does that sound like the grossest thing you've ever heard? I know.

I've heard of it before but assumed it was people with bowel issues like diarrhea. Apparently not. But here's a good definition I copied from the internet.


"Leaky gut syndrome, or intestinal permeability, is a condition in which the intestinal lining is more permeable than normal, which means there are unusually large pores or spaces between the cells that make up the intestinal wall. This additional space allows toxic substances such as bacteria, viruses, parasites, and other harmful factors to enter the bloodstream and reach every part of the body. In a healthy gut, these toxins are eliminated. "

From what I gather right now, the best thing to do is to cut out the foods that I'm most sensitive to. In my case....dairy, wheat, corn, grapes, onions, garlic, etc.

I've been on a strict gluten free, sugar free, vegan diet minus nightshades for 3 weeks. And let me tell you...I am mourning the loss of the onions and garlic right now. And extremely disappointed about the wheat/gluten and oats. But oh well. I was also hoping to see some quicker results but now I read that it will probably take months for my digestive tract to heal.

I go back Wednesday with my friend Renee and a whole bunch of questions.

4 comments:

  1. Sandy,

    I know that you will overcome all of this! You are a CHILD of the MOST HIGH! You are an overcomer through Jesus Christ our Lord!! Satan is the one who opposes you, but maybe he has forgotten that God is YOUR Father! My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Baker suspects leaky gut in my case too. With all my yeast issues. I on the other hand have been VERY reluctant to do my diet. I am getting there now that Aubrey's almost done nursing. There are some great supplements that can help heal leaky gut faster, they say. I'll go back and look up what they were.

    Ob/gyn never get into checking hormones unless you are in menopause. In that case they usually only ever do blood testing and never are quite sure what to do with the results. The majority of ob/gyn's don't know what to do about bio identical hormones or how to prescribe them. That was the case for the ob/gyn group I worked for. There were 10 of them. Only the nurse practitioner knew anything about bio identical hormones. I thought that was so strange. I always secretly sent women to Dr. Baker for their hormones. : )

    I am praying for you and your next appt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. Still praying!! I konw you miss your foods, but I have always secrety admired vegans. And now you are one! Eating is now an adventure. Never easy, always far from the "norm." :o)

    ReplyDelete